Date(s) - 30th Oct 2017
Nelly Erichsen (1862-1918) was a pioneering artist and illustrator who lived and worked in Chipping Campden in the 1900s, joining the community that had gathered there under the leadership of C.R. Ashbee. Born in Newcastle of Danish parentage, she grew up in London, trained at The Royal Academy and was a regular exhibitor in the Summer Exhibition. In later life she moved to Tuscany, where she preserved her independence and made a modest living as an illustrator of Dent’s famous Medieval Towns series. Along the way she counted among her friends the Macmillan publishing family, George Bernard Shaw, Janet Ross (the Queen Bee of Anglo-American society in Tuscany) and Rose Cleveland, one time First Lady in the White House.
Sarah and Peter Harkness are enthusiastic amateurs in the world of art history, but became fascinated by Nelly’s work and then by her life, and have collected some of her original pieces. Sarah, an Oxford graduate whose background is in banking and who worked in the City for many years, is now working on a biography of the artist. They live in the Cotswolds, where their other interests include sheep and gardening.
This talk will be held in our new venue at Chapel Arts, Knapp Road, GL50 3QQ, a few minutes’ walk from The Wilson. This former Baptist chapel has been modernised and restored by Ian James, a member of the Friends, formerly of Martins Gallery in Montpellier. It is now a beautiful arts space which is also playing host to a wide range of events.
- Cost: £15 for buffet lunch and talk, £8.00 for talk only.
- Bookings close 23rd October (lunch and talk) or 29th October (talk only).
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com or ring Alison on 01242 519413.
Otherwise book your place by 23rd October (lunch and talk) or 29th October (talk only) by using the form below.
There are three payment options:
1. You can pay by credit or debit card, as well as by PayPal, using the PayPal option (default). If there are sufficient spaces still available this will automatically confirm your booking if the payment is accepted.
2. If you want to pay by cheque select the Off-line option from the payment methods but please send your cheque as soon as possible as your booking will not be confirmed until we have received the payment.
3. If you really don’t like filling in forms on-screen you can download a form, print it and post it with a cheque. A booking form can also be found in the current edition of our newsletter.
Cheques should be payable to Friends of The Wilson and sent with a sae or clearly written email address to Mrs Alison Pascoe, 77 Naunton Lane, Cheltenham, GL53 7AZ.
Bookings are now closed for this event, but if you would like to be added to our waiting list please email firstname.lastname@example.org.