Date(s) - 27th Nov 2017
The Cheltenham Grammar School building which opened in 1965 was designed by Chamberlin, Powell and Bon, considered to be one of the most important modernist architectural firms in post-war England (they also designed the Barbican estate).
At the time of its opening the building attracted many scathing comments; and it continues to do so, despite its demolition in 1996! However, its pedigree and provenance deserve examination, as does the sterling effort made by the headmaster of the period, Dr Bell, to bring it into existence. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but a significant building’s place in history can be as important as its look.
Robert Rimell is a retired architect and was born in Cheltenham in 1951. After spending most of his working life in Greater London, he returned to Cheltenham in 2015 in order to re-engage with the town that he loves. He attended Cheltenham Grammar School in the 1960s and it was the new 1965 building that had a profound effect on his choice of career.
- Cost: £10
- Coffee served from 10:30am, speaker 11:00-12:00
- Booking closes 19th November
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com or ring Alison on 01242 519413.
Book your place by 19th November by using the form below.
There are three payment options:
1. You can pay by credit or debit card, as well as by PayPal, using the PayPal option (default). If there are sufficient spaces still available this will automatically confirm your booking if the payment is accepted.
2. If you want to pay by cheque select the Off-line option from the payment methods but please send your cheque as soon as possible as your booking will not be confirmed until we have received the payment.
3. If you really don’t like filling in forms on-screen you can download a form, print it and post it with a cheque. A booking form can also be found in the current edition of our newsletter.
Cheques should be payable to Friends of The Wilson and sent with a sae or clearly written email address to Mrs Alison Pascoe, 77 Naunton Lane, Cheltenham, GL53 7AZ.
Bookings are now closed for this event.