Date(s) - 16th Oct 2023
St Matthew's Church
William Hill Knight designed the Synagogue at the age of 22 and went on to design some 20 or more buildings in Cheltenham including Dean Close, the old Grammar School, St Marks, St James, Devonshire Street etc as well as The Library and Schools of Art and Science. Other buildings included the Colonnade and Dowty House (when it was the Boys’ Orphan Asylum) and four boarding houses for Cheltenham College and the swimming baths. He also designed the cemetery at Bouncer’s Lane and the two cemetery chapels which were described in 1983 by English Heritage as “the best example of Victorian cemetery chapels in the country”.
Neela Mann has spent her working life in radio and publishing, latterly as a Copyright Editor for an international publisher and book reviewer for BBC Radio. She has been a Director of Warwick Words History Festival for 22 years. Neela is a local historian who gives talks and walks, many for Heritage Open Days. Neela is the author of eleven history books including “Cheltenham in the Great War”. Having grown up in Cheltenham, she and her husband returned 13 years ago – and are really glad they did!
Cost per person: £11, to include tea/coffee and cake
If you have any questions please phone Alison on 01242 519413.
Please book using one of the following options:
- On-line bookings with a debit or credit card can be made using the form below. Alternatively you may reserve your place, select the ‘off-line’ payment option and pay by bank transfer or cheque.
- Bank transfer – please email email@example.com and wait for confirmation that places are available before arranging your bank transfer.
- Cheque – please complete a booking form (download here ) and post it with your cheque.
Places are not confirmed until payment is received.
Bank transfers should be made to Friends of The Wilson (or as much of that as the bank will accept) Sort Code 30-91-87 Account 00005816. The reference must include your surname plus as much of the event title as will fit, for example SMITH WHKnight.
Please make cheques payable to Friends of The Wilson and send with a SAE or clearly written email address to Mrs Alison Pascoe, 77 Naunton Lane, Cheltenham, GL53 7AZ.
Terms & Conditions: When taking part in the talk please follow these guidelines:
- Please do not attend a talk if you have any Covid-19 symptoms
- You are undertaking this event at your own risk
WE STILL HAVE PLACES AVAILABLE FOR THIS TALK, SO PLEASE BOOK BELOW.
Bookings are now closed for this event.